SUBJECT: Solicitation Message 2012 American Legion Spirit of Service Award MAJCOM/FOA/DRU
Suspense: 23 Apr 2012
1. The purpose of this solicitation message is to request nominations for the 2012 American Legion Spirit of Service Award. This award is sponsored by the National Headquarters of the American Legion and is presented annually to an enlisted member from each of the military services for outstanding volunteer service performed off duty in the local community.
2. Organizations and base-level personnel must contact their MAJCOM, FOA, DRU, or MAJCOM equivalent for applicable suspense date and for additional information regarding nomination procedures. The period of service for the award is 1 January – 31 December 2011.
3. Award criteria and eligibility: A. Nominee must be enlisted in grades Amn through SSgt. B. Main criteria: Cite examples of volunteer community service performed off duty by the member in the local community and also show how the community benefited. C. Cite contributions and examples showing the individual is an outstanding military performer.
4. Each nomination package must include: A. A write-up, limited to 30 lines (including headers which stand alone from the bullets), single-spaced, size 12 font, using only the AF IMT 1206-Version 5, nomination for award. Bullet format is mandatory. The write-up should focus primarily on volunteerism performed by the member. B. An endorsement letter signed by the MAJCOM/FOA/DRU commander, vice commander, or executive director also stating that “A records check was conducted on (date) and revealed no information that would bring discredit to the award or the United States Air Force.” This may be delegated to the A1 directors by the MAJCOM commander. C. Public Release Statement addressed to the Air Force Personnel Center’s Recognition Programs Section (AFPC/DPSIDR): Nominee must sign a public release statement that reads verbatim “I do or do not (circle one) agree to the use of privacy information in the nomination narrative. This information may include privacy information or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) found in AFI 33-332, Air Force Privacy Program, Chapter six, Disclosing Records To Third Parties (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI33-332.pdf). I understand those transmitting personal information via e-mail will exercise caution and adequately safeguard it IAW AFI 33-332, paragraph’s 2.2.4., subparagraphs, and 2.2.5. The announcement message or any publicity regarding the award nomination will contain no privacy information other than name, rank, and base of assignment.” The nominee must sign and date this statement. D. A citation limited to 50 to 70 words (not including opening and closing statements). The citation should include specific examples of the act or services provided. Refer to AFI 36-2805, Special Trophies and Awards, Atch 3, for format.
5. Each MAJCOM/FOA/DRU may submit one nomination. Please send nominations in original format to email@example.com. The only scanned documents we will accept are those with signatures, such as, endorsement letters and public release statements. The IMT 1206 must be sent in IMT format (not scanned) and all other documents should be in Word document format. DO NOT SUBMIT NOMINATIONS DIRECTLY TO SPONSOR.
6. When privacy or Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is being requested by AFPC or guidance is given to forward this information using e-mail either within the Department of Defense (DoD) or outside DoD you are reminded to review AFI 33-332, Air Force Privacy Program (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI33-332.pdf): (1) Chapter 2, paragraphs 2.2.4., subparagraphs, and 2.2.5., and Chapter 6, Disclosing Records To Third Parties. (2) For Official Use (FOUO) information, see Appendix three to DOD 5200.1-R, Information Security Program (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/520001r.pdf) and Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence memorandum, “Interim Information Security Guidance,” Apr. 16, 2004 (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/int041605security.pdf). Please ensure you take appropriate action to protect any privacy or PII information prior to forwarding.
7. The award presentation will take place during the American Legion National Convention in Indianapolis, Aug. 24, 2012 to Aug. 30, 2012.
8. If your nomination package is late and an extension has not been requested or approved before the suspense date, a late submission letter request is required from the MAJCOM/FOA/DRU CC, CV or A1. 9. For more information on Air Force recognition programs, visit the Air Force Personnel Services website at https://gum-crm.csd.disa.mil. The OPR for this message is Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) Recognition Programs Section (AFPC/DPSIDR), 550 C Street West, Suite 12, Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4714.
//SIGNED, lsl, 5 Oct 11//
Chief, Sustainment Division AFPC