FILING A CLAIM WITH THE NAVY FOR PERSONAL PROPERTY DAMAGE CAUSED BY HURRICANE IRENE
1. If you suffered loss or damaged to your personal property due to Hurricane Irene on August 27/28, 2011, you can file a claim if:
A. The property was located on base or in your Government assigned quarters when it was damaged. Government assigned quarters is defined as housing provided in kind by the Government or PPV housing located within the perimeter of the installation.
B. You are a proper claimant under the Personnel Claims Act. A proper claimant is an active duty member, a reservist on active duty, or a civilian employee of the Department of Navy.
2. Claims packets for filing your claim with the Navy can be found on-line at http://www.jag.navy.mil. Click on “claims” under “For Sailors and families” then select “packets and forms” on the right side of the screen.
You may also obtain packages by contacting the Office of the OJAG Personnel Claims Unit Norfolk (PCUN).
– The phone numbers are toll free (888) 897-8217, commercial
(757) 440-6315/6317, DSN 564-3310
– The fax numbers are (757) 440-6316 and 444-3337, DSN 564-3337
– The email address is email@example.com.
3. If you have private insurance covering your loss, you must first make a demand against your private insurance carrier and include a copy of the insurance settlement and submit it with your claim package. If the damages total an amount less than your deductible, you simply need to attach a current copy of your declaration page showing the deductible.
Questions? Claims Help Line: (888)897-8217 The help line is manned from 0700 – 1900, Eastern Time.